Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Something from Nothing...




 Sometimes I look at something and see potential... but for what?  I think it over and over, only to come up empty.  Today, I went out to the barn to feed our cows and saw a bent, rusty old light cage ~ once used to protect a light bulb.  I've passed it by several times with a quick thought of... I should use that somehow.  Ignoring the urge to just pass by again, I picked it up and brought it inside.

After looking around the house for inspiration, I came across a crystal bell in my daughter's 'glass collection.'  I recently bought it for $3 at the thrift store.  It's ball-shaped 'ringer' fell out on the car-ride home... so, turned upside down, it was a perfect fit in the light cage ~ for a vase.

Then I just needed something to hang it with, so ... after successfully scavenging for twine among my gardening supplies ... I cut it in to 3 equal lengths (always cut more than you think you'll need ~ for any project).  I tied the twine around the top of the light cage, spaced as evenly as possible, and then secured the pieces at the top in a loop to form a hanger.

From there I placed the upside-down bell inside, filled it with water and flowers, and hung my creation next to a window.  I think it'll be a nice place to display delicate blooms from my garden that might otherwise get overlooked.


I realize you might not have everything on hand to make this hanging vase, but maybe the bigger take-away is ~ it's good to try and see potential in 'useless' objects, and create something from nothing.  If your ideas don't work out the first time, just keep looking and you're sure to find something to save!

GOOD LUCK, and HAVE FUN!!




“It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, 
than to be always right by having no ideas at all.” 
 
~ Edward de Bono
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I love the quote you ended with!! Amen! You make me look with new eyes at my 'junk':) You are certainly an innovative artist!So beautiful! I'll let you know if I come up with anything...all I see right now is my canning utensils:)
    Thank-you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, I've had that quote in the back of my mind for awhile, just had to wait for the right opportunity to use it... kind of like the metal light cage + bell, just took the right timing :)

    Olivia's also pretty proud that she helped me make the "new vase" with part of her collection ;)

    My favorite places to look for unexpected stuff are in the garage & barn, but I also love going to thrift and antique stores for unique finds and good deals!

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit of a thrift store junkie too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very pretty and I love the fact that you gave something old new life. I enjoy finding new uses for old or odd things. The flowers are gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lori! I love it when creative ideas actually work :) Excited to see more of your creations as well... Have a great day

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa